NBCC 21st Annual Conference, July 24-26, Palm Beach, Florida-Four Seasons Resort
Progress Report 070213
1. Dealing with the Davis Bacon Act at Congress: The House Small Business Committee is taking a good look at alarming moves by the labor movement. In one of the latest incursions they are trying to make surveyors pay their employees at Davis Bacon (union like) wages. Who is next our architects or accountants? The legacy of Davis Bacon was that these wage hikes were used to block Black construction firms from moving north to compete on urban construction jobs. We must be vigilant against this.
2. Crowdfunding: One of our sister organizations, the Small Business & Entrepreneurship Council, is sponsoring a Crowdfunding Contest. Crowdfunding is a unique social media way of raising capital for small businesses (without traditional banks or funds). We support this effort and will introduce similar events later this year. Check it out!
3. NBA Seeking Minority Vendors: The next National Basketball Association All Star Game will be held in New Orleans. You have a short window of time to register your company as an official vendor during the activities. The time to act is now.
4. Next Week is the Week: We have additional hotel rooms: The www.Omphoy.com is a great hotel right next door to the Four Seasons. The NBCC rate is $139 per night plus 11% tax. The Reservations Department can be reached at 1-561-540-6440 or 1-888-344-4321. Attendees should refer to the NBCC room block to receive the rate noted above. All reservations must be guaranteed with a major credit card. Individual reservations will be charged a non-refundable deposit equal to one night’s room and tax seven (7) days prior to arrival. Reservations must be made by July 17 at midnight. In addition the Fairfield Hotel is walking distance from the Four Seasons. It is $79 per night. http://www.marriott.com/
5. Speakers have been added: Bernard Bronner, President & CEO, Bronner Brothers which owns Upscale Magazine; Everett Hall, Owner of Everett Hall Design, a designer of men’s fine clothing; Sharon Carpenter, VH1, The Gossip Game; and Marc Byers, President of Rockstar Entertainment. Additionally, Keymanna Management and Fashion Designers Expo Florida have planned a fabulous fashion show and trunk show. The designer Nova Lorraine will be presenting!! Oh, and Southwest Airlines has donated roundtrip tickets and gift certificates for raffles. Don’t miss out!