NEW REPORT: INNOVATIONS IN CRYSTALLINE SILICON PV 2013 IS NOW AVAILABLE TO PURCHASE!
Times are tough across the crystalline silicon (c-Si) PV supply chain; overcapacity has contributed to crashing prices and negative profit margins, and equipment vendors are challenged to sell new equipment to companies with idled lines. Innovation is one way out of this current mess.
The potenital rate of technological innovation is overwhelming and the impacts on module cost, performance and reliability are difficult to understand or predict. This 262-page report helps readers navigate these factors. In this report, we explore nine topics of innovation within the c-Si PV industry that are distributed evenly between the wafer, cell, and module.
Nine Technology Areas Covered:
|1. Quasi-Mono Wafers|
2. Diamond Wire Sawing
3. Kerfless Wafers
4. Selective Emitters
5. Reduced-silver Metallization
|6. Dielectric-Passivated Backside Cell Architectures|
7. Conductive Adhesives
8. Encapsulant Alternatives to EVA
9. Frameless and Plastic-Framed Module Designs
The report analyzes the above innovations based on potential impact on manufacturing costs, efficiency and energy yield in the field, module reliability, widespread availability of the technology within the next two years, and level of interest within the global PV industry.
This report is distinguished from existing literature on the subject of technology innovations in the following ways:
- Our cost analysis for each innovation takes into account a finer level of technical detail
- We make concrete recommendations based on both technology and cost/performance merits
- We possess the technical judgment to make sense of a fast-moving field
- The analysis does not shy away from actionable conclusions and picking winners and losers
- Readers who are new to a particular technology area can swiftly come up to speed
- Detailed analysis on equipment, materials, and product side of the market for experts in field
For more information on the report and to purchase a copy, visit
GTM RESEARCH ANALYST: Shyam Mehta, Senior Analyst
|Shyam Mehta is a Senior Analyst at GTM Research, focusing on global solar markets. Before joining GTM, Shyam was a Financial Analyst at Goldman Sachs Global Investment Research where he covered equities in the alternative energy sector, primarily solar companies. Prior to Goldman, Shyam was a Research Analyst at The Brattle Group, an economic consulting firm, where his work focused on problems within the electricity industry. Shyam received his Bachelor’s in Mathematics from U.C. Berkeley.|