A big thanks for everything you do – from signing petitions to speaking with press and policy makers to contributing financial support. Together, we are making a real difference in public debate and action on taxes, minimum wage and more.
This year you helped stop a big tax holiday for big corporations that shifted their U.S. profits to offshore tax havens. The U.S. Chamber of Commerce, Pfizer and other companies in the Win America coalition and their allies in Congress thought another “repatriation” tax break was a sure bet. In April, without winning anything, Win America ceased operations.
In 2013, we have to redouble our efforts to stop the big business lobbies from winning on corporate tax reform – using small business as camouflage. They want to benefit from America’s market, infrastructure and public services – but they want others to pay.
Could you strengthen our work together with a tax-deductible year-end contribution. We’ll have a much greater chance of success, if we can close the gap between what we know we should do and our capacity to do it.
Here are some of the 2012 headlines you helped make possible:
- Roll Call: Time for Plan C — Close the Floodgates on Corporate Tax Dodging
- Politico: ‘Revenue-neutral’ tax reform takes hit
- Bloomberg BusinessWeek: Small Biz suffers from state budget cuts for courts
- Business Journals: Obama meets with small business owners about fiscal cliff
- CNN Money: Big firms that avoid taxes are moochers, small companies say
- Journal News: Op-Ed, Melanie Beam, Minimum wage increase a priority
- Reuters: Three years after last increase, business group calls for U.S. minimum wage hike
- Fox Business News: Small business group in favor of Buffett Rule
- The Hill: Op-Ed, Lew Prince, Buffett Rule makes Main Street sense
- Associated Press (AP): Some businesses support raising NY minimum wage
- Washington Post: Op-Ed, Joseph Rotella, Let’s end tax cuts and get corporations to pay fair share
We look forward to working with you in the year ahead on taxes, public investment, minimum wage and other vital policies.
Thank you and Happy New Year,
Holly Sklar, Director, Business for Shared Prosperity