Join us on 13-14th November in Bonn
Accelerating the Energy Transition Panel
The energy sector is considered one of the most carbon-intensive, with 70% of global GHG emissions coming straight from fossil fuel combustion for heat and power. The energy transition is in the heart of climate change mitigation efforts all around the world, with the international community working with one accord towards solving the energy puzzle.
For the energy transition to happen, niche clean technologies need to penetrate the incumbent electricity regime and become the norm, in place of ingrained, old-fashioned fossil fuel-based systems. How will this happen? In what stage of the transition are we?
These will be some of the principal questions that our speakers in the Accelerating the Energy Transition Panel during the 8th Sustainable Innovation Forum in Bonn will be challenged to answer.
Some crucial questions that will be discussed, but not the only, are:
· Why partnerships between the Government, energy and technology companies are considered key to the energy transition?
· With renewable energies dominating the transition discourse, what about nuclear energy and Carbon Capture and Storage (CCS) technologies?
· Financing clean energy: what do businesses need to gain access to financial tools?
· Corporate renewable energy procurement. Is there more than Power Purchase Agreements (PPAs) and on spot renewable energy installations?
For the panel, we chose to bring together representatives from all three key sectors. The panelists represent governmental, industry and technology sectors, exchanging views and best practice:
· Panel Moderator: Nik Gowing, International Broadcaster, United Kingdom
· Pekka Lundmark, President and CEO, Fortum Corporation
· Nicola Sturgeon, First Minister of Scotland and leader of the Scottish National Party
· Jakob Askou Bøss, Senior Vice President of Corporate Strategy & Stakeholder Relations, Ørsted
· Vidar Helgesen, Minister, Ministry of Climate & Environment, Norway
· Armin Schnettler, Head of Research in Energy and Electronics (CT REE), Siemens AG
The Sustainable Innovation Forum is the largest and most influential public to private event taking place alongside COP23 that brings together Ministers of Energy and Climate Change, Blue Chip CEOs, Mayors, Responsible Investors, Development Banks, Green Entrepreneurs and media to catalyse cross-sector partnerships to accelerate innovative, low carbon development solutions. To participate and influence this multi-stakeholder dialogue, register here.
This year’s Sustainable Innovation Forum welcomes leaders in green energy as sponsor of the event including Fortum, Ørsted [former Dong Energy], Siemens, Eaton and Hydrogen Council.
There’s a lot happening at SIF17 – with 600+ delegates to network – we recommend you bring your colleague to ensure you and your team cover everything you want to see and do across two days. With limited spaces available, register today to secure your place.
I look forward to meeting you in November!